Sure...the term life coach gives most people a post-wee-on-a-cold-day shudder. It is dirty word synonymous with smarmy sales people and pimple faced 20 year olds on a mission to fix the world.
Nevertheless, I AM a life coach and I'm convinced everyone in the world could greatly benefit from high quality coaching conversations. Granted, this is in no way a balanced view point, however the life coaching skill-set is the best tools I’ve ever had for growth, change, and progress both in my own life and for those who I have the privilege of serving.
Here are the top 10 reasons why you can't afford to not have a life coach in spite of all the challenges with this industry.
1. To Live the dream. Everyone has a dream yet, the majority of people have decided to settle for what they have rather than what they really want. Life coaching connects people with their dreams again – it takes people from where they are now to where they want to be.
2. For Quality of life. Anthony Robbins says this is determined by the quality of the questions we ask ourselves. Life coaching is about asking high quality questions. The right question is far more valuable than the right answer.
3. Success requires a team of people. Behind every successful person are always key people who make all the difference in their life. Without their input and support, success would have been impossible. A life coach is one person you definitely need on your team.
4. We get stuck. Our tendency is often towards safety, self-protection and survival… but if you always play it safe, all you’ll ever have is regrets and disappointments. We all need people in our world who keep us reaching beyond our comfort zones to go where the life is. That is entirely the domain of a skilled life coach.
5. We have blind spots. Things, we don’t know that we don’t know. The problem is that we can’t change what we don’t see. Beyond what we currently know and have experienced lies what we don’t know and have yet to experience. Out there is where the magic is. A life coach acts like a great mirror to help you see what is really inside you, what’s holding you back, and what you are really capable of.
6. We grow or die. Every living thing abides by this simple rule. When we stop adding to the quality of our life we wither and die. If not physically, then definitely emotionally, spiritually, mentally or relationally. A life coach keeps you focused on becoming more no matter how hard it is or what setbacks you have endured.
7. The world needs you to shine. Your spouse, kids, friends, community, city, state, country, planet need what’s inside you and for you to succeed at life. We can’t afford to miss out on your gifts, talents, voice, ideas, creativity and your unique contribution. There is no one else just like you. There never has been and never will be. A life coach helps you become great at being you.
8. Our heart and mind are the most valuable resources we have. People spend loads of money on things that never really satisfy and provide no long-term improvement in the quality of their life. Surely they require our biggest investment of time, energy and money. Some see life coaching as a luxury item, I believe it is an essential part of doing life well. In every space that people are looking to perform at their peak, a coach is an essential resource. If operating at you peak in life is important to you, then so is a life coach.
9. It’s a judgement free space. In a world of so many demands and expectations, the freedom of the coaching relationship allows you to truly flourish. There is no right or wrong, good or bad. People are not their behavior, choices, thoughts or emotions. The role of the life coach is simply to serve the dreams, desires and goals of the person being coached. You are the expert and the hero in the story, not the coach.
10. The best tools for change. Life coaching is leading the way in human behavioural science. It steals all the best bits from counseling and psychology and packages it in a form that is way cooler and gets outstanding results.